Commissioners Minutes from October 27, 2020
Penobscot County Commissioners’ Meeting Minutes October 27, 2020 2307
9:00 AM Commissioners Peter Baldacci, Andre Cushing & Laura Sanborn 54°
Roll call was taken at 0900 with all three Commissioners present via ZOOM.
Approval of Minutes –
Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to approve September 29, October 6 and October 13, 2020 meeting minutes. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
PRCC Update –
Director Chris Lavoie presented three contracts that needed to be signed by the Commissioners.
• Public Safety Radio Communications System Upgrade Agreement with Radio Communications Management, Inc.
• PRCC System Maintenance Contract Agreement
• Consultant Services Agreement with Communications Design Consulting Group, LLC
Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve all three contracts as presented. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Commissioner Baldacci asked the status on funding this project. Finance Director Alexander reported that once the RFP is prepared, it will be sent to legal counsel for their review. Preparation of the RFP will begin next week with assistance from Administrator Collins and Director Honey.
UT Update –
Director Shaw Weeks reported on the East Millinocket $ 100K TIF application that was presented last week. Director He has communicated with Tina Mullins, Tax Incentives Program Officer at EDCD. She agrees that this project is outside the “municipality” and not eligible for funding.
Commissioner Sanborn would like to meet via Zoom with Kathadin Director Mike Elliott and Representative Mike Michaud. As this project is more regional, we could go over the information with them and see what it is we can do to help. Commissioner Baldacci feels that if the request was updated, then we would be able to revisit this project for funding.
Director Weeks presented for signature the following:
• Bowling Matagamon Snowmobile Club – Groomer TIF Grant. Signed.
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve the Fire and Ambulance Protection Agreement with Lincoln. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0. Signed.
2021-2022 UT Budget Update -
Director Weeks presented the following change to his budget for FY22:
• Director Weeks reduced interest on investment for FY22 to $ 8K (from $9,779) due to current Federal Bank signals that the rate remains unchanged through 2023.
Director Weeks answered questions brought to him last week on the budget:
• The breakdown for spring cleanup costs for Springfield is part of the mowing costs.
• An updated balance amount for Prentiss is $9,815.33 with projects yet to be paid. It was agreed to flat fund last year’s amount.
• Commissioner Cushing made a motion to approve $8,330 for Prentiss Cemetery Association. Commissioner Sanborn seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve the UT budget as amended. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
IT Department (Dept. 15) Updated Budget Presentation -
Director Judy Alexander reported the updated IT Department (Dept. 15) budget changes for the 2021 year.
• Director Alexander stated the two changes were in benefits and computer repair and maintenance. IT has an increase of 8.34% ($57, 696) from previous year.
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve the IT budget as amended. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Final Budget Review for 2021 –
Judy Alexander provided a summary of the changes that were made to the 2021 budget.
• Expenses were up from last year $2,199,487
• 11.213% needs to be raised in taxes
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve this budget summary as presented. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Administration Update -
Administrator Collins reported the following:
• He and Director Honey attended an Emergency Action Plan Review last Friday via zoom– active shooter and suspicious package
• They also attended via zoom a meeting with the Sheriff regarding Supplemental Jail Funding distribution request. This certification statement had been signed by the Commissioners and sent on to the State showing a shortfall in 2020.
• The tax abatement hearing that was scheduled for today has been postponed until November 10th.
• The County will hold it benefits fair November 18th which will coincide with open enrollment.
• There is a 3:00 pm zoom meeting today with the Sheriff, Commissioner Baldacci and the Opioid Legal Firm representing Counties and Municipalities.
• The Corrections Supervisors negotiations meeting that was to be held tomorrow has been rescheduled.
• The 2022-2023 Parking Tags have been ordered and will be in next week.
• The next MCCA meeting will be held via zoom Friday, November 13th.
• Payroll Change Notices signed for: NONE
• Payroll Warrant to be approved for 10.23.2020: $275,337.80
• Accounts Payable Warrant to be approved for 10.23.2020: $531.94
• Accounts Payable Warrant to be approved for 10.27.2020: $404,348.34
• UT Warrant to be approved for 10.27.2020: $92,984.76
• UT Warrant to be approved for 10.27.2020 (FY ’20): $3,000
• UT TIF Warrant to be approved: NONE
• Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to approve the payroll, accounts payable and TIF warrants as presented. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Commissioner Cushing made a motion to close the public session of this meeting at 9:42 a.m. Commissioner Sanborn seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Executive Session---Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to go into Executive Session at 9:44 a.m., under 1 M.R.S.A. § 405 (6) (A) Personnel Matter. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approved passed 3-0. Present were: Commissioners, Administrator Collins, Treasurer John Hiatt and Director Honey. Session ended at 10:23 a.m. No votes taken.
Commissioner Sanborn moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:24 a.m. with no further business on the agenda. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0
Administrator, William Collins
Peter K. Baldacci, Chairman
Laura J. Sanborn, Commissioner
Andre E. Cushing, III, Commissioner