Job Posting- PRCC Dispatcher
Penobscot County ****JOB POSTING**** Regional Communications Center
Public Safety Emergency Dispatcher
Job Title: Public Safety Emergency Dispatcher
Hours: Full Time, Hours vary
FLSA Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
Reports to: Communications Supervisor
Pay Scale: $19.08-$24.90/hour
Posting Date: June 9, 2022
Closing Date: July 11, 2022
How to Apply: Submit Application (required), current resume and letter of interest to:
97 Hammond St.
Bangor, ME 04401
Applications can be found at: penobscot-county.net/employment or the Administration Office located on the 1st floor of the County Administration Building, 97 Hammond St., Bangor, or by calling (207) 942-8535 ext. 2200.
Performs public safety/emergency medical/fire dispatchers’ duties in accordance with policies and procedures of the employing agency and in compliance with governing federal and state procedures and/or laws. Which shall include, but not be limited to the following:
· Knowledge of all Penobscot Regional Communications Center (PRCC) Policies and Standard Operating Procedures.
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, rules and regulations applicable to the Communications Center and all law enforcement agencies, fire services, EMS services and private services affiliated with Penobscot Regional Communications Center.
· Receive and dispatch via radio and/or telephone all incoming emergency complaints to the appropriate agency and/or service, using pager encoders on correct frequencies, or other appropriate channels of communications.
· Provide Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD)/Emergency Fire Dispatch (EFD) Pre-arrival Instructions as necessary, based on training and EMD/EFD provided directions.
· Receive and dispatch or redirect all non-emergency incoming calls to the appropriate individuals or services for assistance.
· Be able to locate and provide resource information from available resources as requested by callers.
· Knowledge of police, fire and rescue policies, standard operation procedures for dispatch, and emergency procedures such as jail breaks, search and rescue and disaster plans.
· Generate and maintain complaint card information on all incoming calls for service, either through the Summit System or cards when the Summit computer is not operational.
· Perform data entry in Summit and the METRO system, and file all warrants delivered to the PRCC for Processing.
· Perform numerous personal computer functions.
· Communicate with the speech and hearing impaired utilizing a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD).
· Send and receive Fax Machine material.
· Be able to clean, re-set, play and record, utilizing the center’s recording and play back equipment.
· Knowledge of materials in the communications center that provide resource information and location of logs to be maintained.
· Be able to function on your own or as a team member.
· Perform additional duties and related tasks as needed or as directed by a proper authority.
Other Related Duties/Responsibilities:
· Ability to be at his/her duty station as required unless assigned to alternate duties by a supervisor.
· Ability to work assigned schedules.
· Participation as in department shifts, meetings, and may sit on various boards and panels.
· Participate in mandatory training.
Education/Training (Minimum required and preferred):
· Minimum – High School Diploma or GED
· Minimum – able to be or is certified in CPR (A.H.A).
· Minimum – able to be or is certified in Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Fire Dispatch, and Emergency Telecommunicators Course under National Academy of Emergency Dispatch.
· Successful completion or is certified in M.C.J.A. Terminal Operations Course.
Job Related Experience (Minimum required and preferred):
· Use of radio and telephone communications.
· Computer data entry and inquiry.
· Must have personal computer knowledge and skills.
· Able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks efficiently, while under stress.
· Must be able to demonstrate leadership abilities.
Special Job Requirements:
· Minimum 18 years of age.
· Ability to understand, follow and provide written and/or oral instructions.
· Successfully pass a full criminal and motor vehicle background check, polygraph examination, fitness for duty exam, drug screening test and hearing test at the expense of the County.
· Successfully complete physical assessment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision.
Penobscot County provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.