Job Posting- IT Director
Job Title: IT Director
Hours: Generally, 8–4:30 M-F;
on call 24/7 as call rotation dictates
Department: Information Technology
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: County Administrator
Pay Scale: Commensurate with experience
POSTING DATE: June 10, 2022
CLOSING DATE: June 21, 2022 or until position is filled
HOW TO APPLY: Submit application, letter of interest and current resume to:
Attn: Human Relations
97 Hammond Street
Bangor, ME 04401
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can be found at: https://www.penobscot-county.net/employment or at the Administration Office located on the 1st floor of the County Administration Building, 97 Hammond St.
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for the overall operations of the IT Department with Penobscot County Government as well as Piscataquis County Government and public safety entities that utilize our services. This position provides continuous leadership, administration and planning while demonstrating superior public service delivery.
Services include technology planning, business applications support, network and security administration, desktop support, telephone systems support, and web services coordination. Work involves significant engagement with County departments and public involvement with local public safety officials, elected officials, other policy makers, and citizens. Serving as a member of the County’s management team, collaborates with Administration and other County departments on strategy and policy to ensure that the County’s mission and core values are incorporated into operational activities and services.
· Develop and oversee technical projects that align with the County’s goals
· Direct the effective delivery of network services and disaster recovery systems and processes; develops, maintains and tests disaster recovery plans for network
· Supervises a team of IT professionals including IT Manager, Systems Administrators and/or Technical Support Specialists
· Participate as a member of the Penobscot Safety Information Management Systems Administrators Group (PSAG) Committee
· Work in concert with IT staff in day-to-day troubleshooting, operations and on call duty
· Directs, coordinates and reviews work for assigned division within IT; assigns work activities and monitors work flow
· Plans, assigns, directs and exercises supervision over the preparation of the department budget, control over expenditures, establishes and enforces department policies, procedures, work performance and safety standards.
· Works with vendors to ensure that the computer system platform provides sufficient computing resources to deliver the desired level of business performance
· Monitors and maintains network stability, collects and analyzes network and memory utilization, and installs and tests software upgrades. Manages computer operations scheduling, backup, storage, and retrieval functions
· Develop and implement plans to mitigate or remedy security issues and data where applicable or necessary to ensure safeguarding of the County’s technology assets.
· Coordinates third-party maintenance for network hardware, software and telecommunications services
· Maintains and serves as Spillman Computer Aided Dispatch System and for Penobscot and Piscataquis County
· Prepares and maintains documentation of network configurations, cabling layout and computer wiring
· Ensures continuous operation support for the County’s telecommunication data transfer through telephone and wireless means.
· Maintains and updates policies and procedures for end users
· Reviews and evaluates methods and procedures and implements changes to increase work flow or project efficiencies.
· Works with entities to develop short and long-term solutions to technology management needs and issues
· Develops short- and long-term program goals and objectives; administers timeliness to effectively accomplish goals and objectives on time and within budget.
· Develop and maintain the strategy of the future direction of LAN/WAN. Maintain and provides recommendations for state-of-the-art technology.
· Provide oversight and direction for the maintenance of the Exchange server and the County’s e-mail system. Maintain network hardware and software, including servers, peripherals, network nodes, terminals and wiring.
· Develop configuration and performance standards for network; implements and monitors controls to ensure they are maintained.
· Evaluate business needs in cooperation with departments’ objectives, and goals, researching products available and designating procedures to best meet those needs.
· Maintain awareness of changing trends and regulations that might affect departments and act on as required
· Provide well-defined project plans including procedures, deadlines, and accountability standards
· Provide succinct communication and reporting to various boards and governing bodies with professionalism and courtesy
· Active member of leadership team and supports development of staff through empowerment management practices
· Develop plans for implementation of new products, coordinating process with project leaders
· Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge/Skills/Experience required: Knowledge, Skills & Experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience is required. Additional skills/experience in personnel management and financial management is preferred. Combination of experience and education will be considered.
Experience: Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in technology filed including 3 years in management position is required. Experience with budgeting, project management and problem solving required.
Skills: Must possess sound working knowledge of IT operations, systems, and development. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required. Strong leadership and project management skills are required. Solid analytical and problem-solving skills are required. Time management and ability to adapt to situational needs is required. Additional knowledge of advanced data and voice systems management, including implementation and management of VLANs, firewalls, routers and a wide array of operating systems including Windows and Linux/Unix is required. Contemporary computerized information systems technology experience including document storage & retrieval, imaging, computer software and hardware, data, video and voice communications equipment and systems, and sources of current information in the field is required.
Employment contingent upon passing a criminal convictions check, local background check and Fingerprinting and CJIS standards
Usual office conditions are present. Noise level is moderate. Multiple activities are on-going simultaneously. Can be a stressful environment as a result of having to meet tight statutory deadlines.
The job may require the ability to lift as much as 50 pounds and require other physical demands
associated with daily tasks of the movement and placement of computers, servers, switches and
cabling. They should also be able to effectively type at a rate necessary to produce documents as necessary for presentation and preservation.
Penobscot County provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.