Job Posting- Corrections Utility Custodian
AFSCME – C/O Line Unit
Job Title: Corrections Utility Custodian
Hours: 40 hours per week, exact schedule to be determined. Off hour work, including weekends and holidays may be required based on the needs of the County
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Reports to: Facilities Director
Approved By: County Commissioners
Pay Scale: $19.85 - $24.31
Date: September 21, 2021
POSTING DATE: September 21, 2021
CLOSING DATE: October 12, 2021
HOW TO APPLY: Submit application and letter of interest to:
Attn: Human Relations
97 Hammond Street
Bangor, ME 04401
Applications can be found at: https://www.penobscot-county.net/employment or the Administration Office located on the 1st floor of the County Administration Building, 97 Hammond Street, Bangor, or you may call (207) 942-8535 x2200 to request an application
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Facilities Director, schedule and oversee inmate workers to maintain the Penobscot County Jail, Sheriff’s administrative offices, buildings, and premises in a safe, clean, and efficient condition.
· Perform a proficient level of daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal custodial services in keeping assigned building areas clean, sanitized, and orderly to established standards.
· Plan, schedule, and oversee inmate workers to ensure all assigned areas are cleaned and sanitized daily.
· Keep assigned buildings and grounds, including sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas neat, clean, and free from rubbish.
· Ensure inmate showers are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized on a schedule to be determined.
· Wash all interior and exterior windows throughout the assigned areas.
· Sweep, mop, and vacuum office floors and hallways. Dust horizontal surfaces in order to maintain quality environment. Sanitize all high touch surfaces.
· Strip and wax floors as needed.
· Maintain all cleaning equipment in good order and advise Maintenance Supervisor of repairs needed.
· Ensure all doors and windows are kept as secure as required.
· Perform light maintenance as able. Oversee inmate workers performing painting and other light maintenance functions.
· Oversee and assist inmate workers, using shovels, chippers, snow blowers and sand and/or de-ice, in order to clear snow and ice from entrances, walks, and steps in order to maintain a clear path and secure footing.
· Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
· Meet with the Maintenance supervisor as needed to plan and assist with minor repairs to buildings and grounds
· Use Penobscot County work order system to report repairs needed to the facility.
· Monitor cleaning chemical and supply levels and advise Facilities Director on needed replacements in advance so that supplies arrive in time as to not hinder custodial services.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
· 3-5 years of relevant experience
· Knowledge of general cleaning methods, materials, and equipment
· 2-3 years of supervising others in a multi-cultural facility
· Able to be successfully trained and certified as a Corrections Officer by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
· Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
· Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Conserves organizational resources.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Generates creative solutions; Demonstrates attention to detail; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
· Customer Service – Maintains professional demeanor when dealing with difficult or emotional situations; Responds promptly to staff, student and public needs; Solicits feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance;
· Interpersonal Skills - Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things. Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
· Oral and Written Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings; Read and comprehend written and verbal instructions. Writes clearly and informatively.
· Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
· Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
· Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions. Meets commitments; Follows policies and procedures.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and outside weather conditions year-round. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands/Conditions Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, grasp or feel; reach with hands and arms; push and pull, and talk, hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee should be able to routinely lift or move up to 40 lbs. The employees may occasionally need to lift or move, including with the assistance of equipment, 75 lbs or greater. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Penobscot County is an EEO Employer