Job Posting- Clerical Specialist I
Penobscot County ****JOB POSTING**** PROBATE COURT
Job Title: Clerical Specialist I
Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. (37.5 hrs. wk.)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
Reports to: Registry of Probate
Approved by: Register of Probate
Pay Scale: $16.25 - $19.66 per hour
Date: May 10, 2022
POSTING DATE: May 10, 2022
CLOSING DATE: May 24, 2022 (close of business 4:30 p.m.)
HOW TO APPLY: Submit application, letter of interest and current resume to:
Attn: Human Relations
97 Hammond Street
Bangor, ME 04401
Applications can be found at: https://www.penobscot-county.net/employment or the Administration Office located on the 1st floor of the County Administration Building, 97 Hammond Street or by calling (207) 942-8535 x2200
The Clerical Specialist is responsible for performing general clerical duties in court of law related to the functions and responsibilities of the Probate Court for Penobscot County under the general supervision of the Register. The Probate Court is a Court that operates according to the Maine Rules of Probate Court and the Clerical Specialist is responsible for recording documents and handling individual matters prior to filing.
· Transcribe live court hearings, and assist with all court room proceedings.
· Prepares, organizes and processes all legal documents related to the probate of estates, guardianships and conservatorships of minors and adults. Processes change of name of minors and adults, and adoptions of minors and adults.
· Performs general clerical duties including data entry, scanning current and past documents and files, filing, processing mail, preparing forms and photo copying.
· Examines legal documents submitted to the Court for adherence to laws or court procedures.
· Prepares dockets or calendars of cases to be called
· Maintains a strong knowledge of the Probate Code and related laws and Law Court Rules that Govern the operation and procedures of the Probate Court
· Assists and provides clear written and verbal communications to the public and legal professionals with probate matters.
· Maintains strong attention to detail and accuracy
· Maintains, protects and secures confidential information and documents
· Answers multi-line phone; operates copier; scanner/fax as well as other applicable office equipment
· Performs other related duties as required
High school diploma or equivalent required, 2 years of college course work in paralegal studies, business administration or similar field OR 2 years work experience in related field required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, data entry, file management and record maintenance is required. Ability to effectively communicate with the public is required. Ability to work in a team setting with commitment to high level of customer service is required. Must be able to prioritize and work under pressure to meet deadlines. Thorough knowledge of the Uniform Probate Code and general judicial processes is preferred.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard. Light to moderate lifting is required (up to 25 lbs.)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Penobscot County provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.