For a downloadable copy click HERE
Penobscot County Commissioners’ Meeting Minutes August 4, 2020 2295
9:00 AM Commissioners Peter Baldacci, Andre Cushing & Laura Sanborn 71°
Approval of Minutes –
Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to approve July 14th, 21st and 28th, 2020 meeting minutes. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
Public Comment – None
NWDB Update –
Executive Director Joanna Russell presented two payroll change notices that she is requesting Commissioner approval to modify. Director Russell recommends these changes with her full support.
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve Program Coordinator Benjamin Hawkins probationary period to end and rate of pay be increased to $43 K effective August 10, 2020. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
• Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve Program Assistant Rebecca Bryant hours to be reduced from 40 to 32 hours per week effective August 17, 2020. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0.
UT Update -
• Director Shaw Weeks presented for signature the Matagamon Lake Association TIF Agreement. Commissioner Sanborn moved to approve as presented for $75 K. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0. Signed.
• Director Weeks stated that the paving project in Mattamiscontis was completed last Friday. Deputy George Buswell is working on some minor projects for the next few weeks.
• Director Weeks communicated with John Raymond regarding the TIF grant request for Det. Benjamin Campbell Bridge project. This total project cost is $ 250 K; other grants, such as USDA, Northern Border, Snowmobile Club Grant and Gloria MacKenzie Foundation are being sought out for additional funding. Director Weeks asked if PILT funding would be available for this project. The problem that this group is finding stems from Maine Department of Transportation wanting the monies secured by September even though the bridge construction won’t start until next year. An issue is a lot of these grants are not available until after January 2021.
Administration Update –
• Administrator Collins reported that at 4:30 this morning we were notified that our microwave at the Fish Hill Tower went down at 9:00 p.m. last night. Bill has just learned that it repaired about ten minutes ago. Deputy Josh Lilley is taking lead as Director Chris Lavoie is on vacation.
• Bill participated in the MACCAM zoom meeting last Friday. At this meeting it was discussed how $2.8M should be split amongst the Counties. Finance Director Judy Alexander stated that we are $ 51K in the red for Year-end 2020; based on that shortfall, there appears to be far less needs of Funds for Year-end 2020 for the 15 county jails.
• Yesterday there was testimony from Carrie Kipfer, Lincoln County Administrator, to the Appropriations and Financial Affairs Committee regarding the impact of COVID 19 Pandemic on local governments.
• Administrator Collins spoke to Former Representative Mike Michaud. Mike is interested in identifying TIF monies for various projects in the Katahdin Region and would like to come speak before the Commissioners in the next week or two.
• Most County departments are operating at full staffing with a few exceptions.
• Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to deny Diamond Kelehar her tax abatement on her Howland property as there was No Error regarding the Property Valuation as of April 01, 2019 from the Town Assessor. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to deny the tax abatement passed 3-0.
• There will be a MCCA meeting next Wednesday.
• Payroll Change Notices signed for: Kelly Fennelly, Rebecca Bryant and Ben Hawkins – Payroll Changes
• Payroll Warrant to be approved for July 31, 2020: $ 248,332.83
• Accts Payable Warrant to be approved for August 4, 2020: $ 368,567.27
• UT Warrant to be approved for August 4, 2020: $33,068.50
• UT TIF Warrant to be approved: NONE
Executive Session---Commissioner Sanborn made a motion to go into Executive Session at 9:30 a.m., under 1 M.R.S.A. § 405 (6) (A) Personnel Matter. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approved passed 3-0. Present were: Commissioners, Administrator Collins, and Director Honey by phone. Erick left the meeting at 10:07 am. Session ended at 10:35 a.m. No votes taken.
Commissioner Sanborn moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:36 a.m. with no further business on the agenda. Commissioner Cushing seconded the motion. Vote to approve passed 3-0
Administrator, William Collins
Peter K. Baldacci, Chairman
Laura J. Sanborn, Commissioner
Andre E. Cushing, III, Commissioner